Chatham-Kent Provincial Offences Court in Blenheim. (Photo by Paul Pedro)
Chatham

CK fatal crash charges withdrawn

Charges have been dropped for a Raleigh Township man charged in connection with a fatal crash in Charing Cross that killed two sisters trying to rescue a turtle.

Chatham-Kent Provincial Offences Court near Blenheim said the matter was withdrawn on Tuesday at the request of the Crown because there was no reasonable prospect of conviction.

Jarred Hammer, 25, was charged in early November 2024 with two counts of careless driving causing death.

Police previously reported the victims, 66 and 68 years old, were struck on Charing Cross Road near Horton Line on May 18 after stopping their car on the side of the road to help a turtle.

Teresa Suliga's obituary stated that her greatest love was her family and taking care of animals.

Teresa Suliga. (Photo via Alexander & Houle Funeral Home)

Elizabeth Seremak's obituary said she was known for her generous heart and helping spirit, and loved to spend time with her family, especially her treasured grandchildren.

Elizabeth Seremak. (Photo via Alexander & Houle Funeral Home)

Read More Local Stories