Lambton Shores Fire and Emergency Services is highlighting the dangers of lithium-ion batteries after responding to a call on Saturday.
Acting Chief David McLean said crews were called to an address in the municipality after a battery in an electronic hoverboard caught fire.
McLean said fortunately there were no injuries or major damage to the property, but he said the fire started during the day with residents nearby to take notice.
"The fire did not spread to the rest of the home," McLean said.
He said the incident could have ended differently if no one was home or it happened at night.
"Lithium-ion batteries are everywhere now so knowing how to properly use and handle these batteries is more important than ever,” he said. “These batteries store a large amount of energy in a small amount of space, and they can overheat, catch fire, or explode."
The fire department said it's important for people to know how to properly charge and use these batteries and has released these safety tips and reminders.
• Only use the battery that is designed for your device
• Only use the charging cord that came with your device
• Do not charge a device under your pillow, on your bed, or on a couch
• Do not keep charging a device or battery after it is fully charged
• When possible, keep batteries at room temperature and do not charge them at temperatures below 0°c or above 40°c
• When charging, especially for larger devices like e-bikes or e-scooters, it is important to charge the battery in a flat, dry area away from direct sunlight
• Store batteries away from anything that can catch fire
• Only purchase and use devices that are listed by a qualified testing laboratory
• Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions
Residents are also advised to know what to look for when it comes to problematic batteries.
“If you notice an odor, a change in colour, too much heat, a change in shape, leaking, or odd noises coming from the battery, there’s a problem and you should stop using it immediately,” McLean said. “If the battery is charging and you notice any of these signs, and it is safe to do so, unplug the device and move it away from anything that can catch fire.”